October 27, 2009

Creamed Chipped Beef

Since moving South, I have found there are only a few foods that I cannot buy regionally: UTZ chips, Rapa scrapple, Esskay products, Berger Cookies. It's when I get a craving for one of these foods that I start to wish I had a Giant I could run to. Instead, I head to the local grocers. Believe me when I say I am serious about my cravings. Without hesitation I will go from one grocery to the next. Last night, my search for Esskay Chipped Beef meant bouncing to four different stores. Ultimately, I ended up buying Amour Dried Beef.

The Dried Beef wound up being a suitable alternative. I sliced the beef, cooked it in some butter and Worcestershire then added a bit of pepper for flavor. While that was cooking, in a separate saucepan, I mixed 3 tablespoons of melted butter with 3 tablespoons of flour. I whisked the two creating a roux. I added a cup and a half of milk and continued whisking. Once that had thickened I added the beef and a bit more Worcestershire then I put some bread in the toaster.

All in all dinner was pretty great. All of the ingredients, save the dried beef, were in my pantry (or fridge) and fortunately the dried beef only cost $1.83. *For those of you wondering: Yes, it tastes much better than it looks!


5 comments:

  1. I think we have the same dishes. Square from Target? Love them. Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed they are. Peter had them before I moved up here. Rather than buy new "casual china"-whatever that means- we just bought another set of the square plates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. My Mama makes a dish similar to that...does the dish have a name? CLL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creamed Chipped Beef- on Toast. Its very fancy :)

    ReplyDelete