November 22, 2009

Quinoa and Black Beans

After last Sunday's unfortunate food incident, I was hesitant to get back on schedule for Slow Cooker Sunday. Thus, in the form of a true pantry scavenger I opened the pantry doors this evening and thought, "What to make?" The pantry is currently packed full with items I've been stocking up for Thanksgiving and unfortunately nothing was really jumping out at me. When I spotted our 4 lb. bag of quinoa I could hear Minx whisper "Use it!"- she's been on a quinoa kick recently. I opted for a meatless main {from All Recipes} which I altered ever so slightly. Peter and I dressed up our dinner with sour cream, salsa, and cheese. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 can vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 shakes cayenne pepper
1-2 shakes Hot Shot
1-2 shakes Mixed-Up Salt
1 can sweet corn kernels
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. { While that is simmering, send your husband to the grocery store to pick up some shredded Cheddar cheese.}
3. Stir in corn and black beans and let it simmer for 5 minutes {or until your husband returns, which ever comes first}.

10 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!

    And happy thanksgiving, I hope it's great.

    ReplyDelete