December 6, 2009

13.1

Yesterday I ran a half marathon. St.Jude hosts a marathon weekend every December that includes a 5k, half, and full marathon. Having run a good number of 5k races I decided it was time to take on a bit more distance. I knew that in order to finish the race it would be in my best interest to train. So, I made a nice schedule that I {for a few days} was determined to follow. Unfortunately, at best my training was sub-par at worst it was nonexistent; however, I made it. I ran all 13.1 miles and finished with a time of 2:25:35 which isn't too shabby for being ill prepared. I kept reminding myself that Isaiah 40:30-31 says: Even youths shall faint and be weary,and young men shall fall exhausted;but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary;they shall walk and not faint. Those verses along with the thousands of people cheering along side the race course helped me push through without any significant injury or pain.

Speaking of the people cheering the runners on, I think it is very important to applaud their creativity. Many of the men and women along the sides were holding signs. Some of my favorites were:
  • Mile 3: If it were easy, I'd be doing it.
  • Mile 5: Blisters don't need chemo! {This was on the St.Jude campus}
  • Mile 10: Run like you are being chased.
  • Mile 12: Don't stop now...People are watching.
When we got in the car yesterday morning the thermostat read 29 F, that fell to 26 F by the time we reached downtown.

Did I mention this is a huge race? 15,500 people participated.

From about mile 7 on the only thing I wanted was a Starbucks mocha.Of course, a Starbucks mocha was not available right after the race so I settled for a Diet Coke and some chocolate milk.

My race bling.


3 comments:

  1. So proud of you and those signs are hilarious! I should have made some signs!! hahaha! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful recap! So proud of you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you remembered the funny signs you saw along the way. My favorite is the one using peer pressure to keep you going. Great job running! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete