January 17, 2010

A Response to Reaction #3

I am in a book club.
When people hear this they react in one of three ways:

1) That's so cool. I've always wanted to be in a book club.
Well, you should start your one or join the one I'm in.

2) Really? Well, I guess that's not surprising.
I suppose it is not. I like reading. I like friends. I like reading books to discuss with friends...

3) What type of books do you guys read?
We do not read any particular type of book. I think that's one of the reason why the club has been so successful {other reasons include: good company, fun discussions, appetizers and wine}. On November 13, 2008, the organizer of this book club, M, laid out a very helpful rule about book selection: You can only recommend a book that you have read; no trusting critics, Amazon.com, or Oprah. This rule has helped ensure that our book selections have been stellar. Below you can find the list of books we have read. If you have not read the books listed in orange, you need to drop everything and make plans to acquire the book though whatever means necessary.

Cold Sassy Tree
Rowdy Memphis
Peace Like A River
Til' We Have Faces
The Giver
Al Capone Does My Shirts
Mudhouse Sabbath
The Book Thief
The Help

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (currently reading)

No comments:

Post a Comment