December 28, 2010

Build Me Up Butternut

The holidays make healthy eating a challenge. At least for me. For the last week my body has been pleading with me, begging for healthy food. But, I ignored all demands and enjoyed homemade Championship cookies, mini-pickles, Cinnabon, multi-meat meals, and, while on the road, fast-food. I'm disgusting. Help me!

Last night, I obliged. Finally. And it tasted pretty good.
I made butternut squash soup and a spinach, beet salad with walnuts and goat cheese. Both were crowd pleasers in our crowd of two. The soup was my variation of a Real Simple recipe. I omitted the cheese and croutons, cooked the butternut squash whole, doubled the amount of butter {please don't judge} and used significantly more pepper than recommended. For the salad I tossed walnuts, goat cheese, and a roasted beet onto a bed of 50/50! Peter whipped up a dressing using red wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, and a pinch of sugar.

Everything turned out well and fortunately there was enough for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment