November 23, 2011

Master Bedroom: His Dresser

With Peter's first "real" paycheck he purchased a rather large television. With no place to put the television, he made a quick trip to Goodwill and found a $40 dresser as a temporary solution. 
My dad has often pointed out that many temporary solutions stick around longer than we anticipate. Peter's Goodwill dresser has been with us through three moves, lasting longer than the television it used to hold. Today, rather than storing Xbox games and DVDs, it holds his clothes. A few years ago, right after we adopted Lily, our sweet new pup attacked the entire right side of the dresser doing significant damage to the upper corner.  The damage never bothered either of us since we figured the dresser would be replaced one day.
Of course, we both like the dresser; it is sturdy, solid wood, and provides enough storage for Peter's clothes.  The only real issue I had with the dresser was that the dark wood created a gigantic eye sore in our room. In order to reduce the amount of visual space the dresser consumes, I decided to paint it off white. Using the Annie Sloane chalk paint, once again, I transformed the bulky dresser into something a bit more sleek while camouflaging Lily's damage.  I used wood-fill to plug the holes where the old hardware was attached then primed those spots but otherwise I did no prep work before painting.

After looking at Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, Anthropologie, and Lowe's, Peter picked out new hardware for the dresser at Lowe's for a grand total of $17.63. I decided to install just one handle on each drawer in order to create a more modern look. I'm just guessing, but I think Peter's new and improved dresser may be with us for the long haul.

3 comments:

  1. I know this post is from forever ago... But I unfortunately am going to need to paint one of our cherry dressers white b/c it clashes with the other dark wood piece of funriture that I like better. Can you tell me how you did this? Do you have to sand it all first? what kind of paint did you use? I can't believe that was at goodwill for $40. what a PRIZE! Maybe we should just skype this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can Skype, call, text, or email! Though I'll give you the basic answers here. I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (no prepping required unless your stain runs which you'll notice immediately). After paint 2-3 coats, I applied a layer of her clear wax and then sanded with a very fine sandpaper. Then I waxed and sanded again. It's super easy. You'll probably have to buy the paint and wax online and have it shipped to you. The paint is kind of pricey but worth it.

    Here's a link to the Annie Sloan page: http://www.anniesloan.co.uk/acatalog/How_to_use_the_paint.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeek! hopefully buying the paint this weekend or next to start transforming the cherry dresser to an off white changing table! I'm nervous about the turnout but I'll keep you posted and call if I have questions :)

    ReplyDelete