January 12, 2012

The GD

Goodness gracious, the last 10-ish weeks of this pregnancy began with some unexpected news: I have gestational diabetes. Back in early-December when I failed the 1-hour blood glucose test, I figured it was fluke. But on the day of my 3-hr test, when I found out how badly I failed the 1-hr, I prepared myself for either outcome. When the nurse called to let me know that I failed the 3-hr test and had gestational diabetes,  I took out a pen and recorded her instructions: : 
          -Attend gestational diabetes class in mid-January
          -Use a meter to measure my blood glucose levels four times daily
          -Follow a 2,000 calorie per day ADA diet
Since I had to go five-weeks without attending class,  I took some initiative to gather my own information. I was in touch with a friend who is a dietitian, another who is a diabetic, and my sister-in-law who had gestational diabetes during one of her pregnancies. Between all of my friends and the wealth of information available online, I felt fairly confident in addressing this new development on my own until I attended class. 

As I've told people that I have gestational diabetes, most of them are surprised because I'm a bit of a health nut when it comes to my diet. But, I have a family history of diabetes which is one of the risk factors. Some people ask, "Have you been feeling okay?" or attempt to comfort me by saying, "You'll feel so much better once your on the ADA diet." The thing is, I've been feeling great! Perhaps my perspective is skewed since I consider any day I'm not on bed rest to be a good one. 

One of my favorite things to do each week is plan our meals. We generally try one or two new recipes while rotating through other favorites in no particular order. Given the new circumstance, I realized that it would be easier to get on a meal rotation of ADA recommended meals. Considering it a very small gesture toward the health and well-being of our baby, Peter and I agreed it would be best if for the remainder of the pregnancy we followed a meal rotation. I set out own my own, counting carbs and what not but the whole thing was so tedious I didn't get too far.

Earlier this week I finally attended my three-hour class. There were two other women in attendance with me who had just been diagnosed.  Had I attended class the week I was diagnosed I think it would have been great but after five-weeks of managing my gestational diabetes it wasn't tremendously helpful. When the dietician came to speak with us for last hour of the class she provided us with some food exchange books. That evening, Peter and I went through the food exchange books to plan meals and snacks that fit the necessary requirements in terms of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Equipped with the food exchanges, the task was much easier! We now have a five-day rotation that should help keep my blood sugar level throughout the day:

As a side note, since I felt like the class was a waste of time I decided to pop into a children's boutique afterward. Considering we don't know what we're having, I figured I would just look around the baby sections and see whats out there. Thus far, I've been quite good about not purchasing any baby clothes.  We've been given some and we received some wonderful, gender-neutral hand-me-downs that should suffice for awhile. Anyway, on my way out of the store I did see a precious and brilliant collection of outfits that caught my attention: reversible infant clothes by Twotara. The clothes are pink on one side and blue on the other! I can't see buying more than one of these outfits but it seemed like a pretty cute idea for going-home from the hospital.
Photo from Twotara

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! I hate that you are having to go through this...we are almost there!! Have you had any Braxton Hicks contractions??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Braxton Hicks [yet]. Are you having any? We are almost there which is crazy! I checked with Pregnology.com and apparently my due date is a mere 46 days away. So yours is closer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome outfits...i'm so sick of yellow ducks!

    ReplyDelete