January 3, 2013

Farewell Open House

Our dear friends Stacey and Tim are moving away from Memphis. It is so hard to believe.
I'm excited for the next adventure in their lives but still a bit sad and absolutely in denial about their absence from this city. 
I met Stacey through our church in 2008. We've been through a lot of life together since then: two marriages, four children, five dogs...
Back when we met, I was a teacher, engaged to Peter and she was a single lady with two pups.
Now as she follows her wonderful husband to Arkansas, it's easy to see how far we've come.


On New Year's Day, Peter and I opened our house for a going away party that I co-hosted.
After a few weeks of planning and a joint shopping trip with the other host, I felt like we were prepared.
When my poor co-host got sick the day before the party, I knew everything would be just fine since we'd planned it out so well. Phew!  

We used a book of Memphis photography, past and present, as a guest book.

I ventured into dangerous territory when I decided to use recipes I hadn't before for the party.
Luckily, all of the new  recipes were successful: ham and cheese sliders, cucumber finger sandwiches, Oreo cookie balls.
We did get some fruit and doughnut holes just in case.


Since the party was on New Year's Day, I decided an open house would be best so people could come and go as they liked.
You know, with no pressure to arrive on time or stay for hours. Looking back, I think that was the way to go!
It worked out that at one point there were seven little girls under four years old at our house.
Three under one. Basically just a whole lot of cuteness.
I could hardly stand it.


I don't worry about losing touch with Stacey and Tim.
If anything, they'll give me a reason to go to Arkansas.
Hot Springs here we come! 

1 comment:

  1. It was the bestest going away party a girl (and her husband) could ask for!!! :)

    ReplyDelete