May 7, 2013

2013 St. Jude Half

In 2009, I ran the St. Jude half marathon.  It was great experience. The race took us through the St. Jude campus then all around midtown and downtown Memphis with supporters the whole way.  Then on Thanksgiving day 2010, Peter and I ran the Atlanta half.  The Atlanta race could not have been more different from the St. Jude. We basically race 13.1 miles through a ghost town. Since then, I haven't run another half. But on May 1, I made a decision: I am going to run the 2013 St. Jude half marathon on December 7, 2013.

Yes, the race is 12 weeks after my due date. And I'm aware. But I've talked it over with the pros and it's absolutely feasible. I'll start training now, at 21 weeks pregnant, and continue training until baby arrives. I'll take the required time off post-delivery and then get back into the swing of it. At the end of the day, I'm not above walking but I am above not finishing. So if I start the race, I'm going to finish it. 

This year, for the first time, I am going to raise money for St. Jude as a member of Team GoJGo, which is Josiah's team. I've known Josiah since he was born and have seen his family become direct beneficiaries of the work at St. Jude. It's good stuff!  St. Jude does phenomenal work in Memphis and for children around the world.

While some people may think this is crazy, my logic boils down to this: if kids at St. Jude can fight cancer and other life-threatening diseases, who is to say I can't take on a half marathon for those kids months after delivery. What a great reason to run! Here is my personal fundraising website if you are interested in supporting the work of St. Jude and Team GoJGo.

                                                             Pre-Race 2009

7 comments:

  1. Kudos to you! That's super impressive. Proud of you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to high school with Katrina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world (smaller Memphis)! I actually only knew her through a friend that used to work with her.

      Delete
  3. good for you! I hope it goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mags. Me too. But, again, I'm not above walking :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck, Parker! You'll be awesome.
    Also, I'm loving the new blog design.

    ReplyDelete