January 19, 2014

The Thing About Hard Days

Last weekend the hard drive of our computer had to be replaced.  There were no warning signs that the hard drive was failing, but fortunately everything was backed up and I replaced it before anything mildly tragic happened. Still, having the hard drive replaced, and concurrently upgrading the operating system, reset my computer. I transferred my files and am working to learn the new system.

Last Monday, after the computer had been repaired and upgraded, I went to print a coloring sheet for Cole. Wouldn't you know it? Our printer couldn't be found. I don't know why, but that was it. It being the thing that made the enormity of this move very, very real. Not only do we have to find a church, a house, friends, a school, favorite eateries, and a preferred grocery store in this brand new town, but I realized I had to find my way around this new computer. It may seems silly but thats what happened. It was a hard day.

Being the extreme extrovert I am, going from a very social schedule in Memphis to a schedule with very little social interaction other than what I plan is tough. And I knew it would be. It's hard to imagine moving across the country without a few [gallons of] tears, add to that a toddler, an infant,  post-partum hormones, and the realization that establishing yourself takes more than a month and the water works are just to be expected. So there were tears. And comforting from my husband and a friend in Memphis who just happened to call to catch up.

The nice thing about hard days is that they don't last forever. The rest of the week was better. It seems we've developed a clear sense of where we'd like to live which is major. The girls and I went to story time at the library, bible study, open gym at the gymnastics center, and a club event for stay-at-home moms and their children. Anything to get out of the house! So we're out there, making an effort to meet people and getting to know this town.

I know that we are exactly where we're supposed to be. And there are going to be more hard days ahead. Some may be related to the move and some may not, just because this is life and life is hard. But the Lord is faithful. I've met three other young moms at bible study and one lives in my neighborhood. And she goes to the same library story time I do. And our kids really like each other. This is a young relationship that I'm so very thankful for.

I'm working on accepting our new home as it is, rather than constantly comparing it to Memphis. There's just no fruit to that behavior. Also, it's unfair. My love for Memphis and the people in that city developed over seven years and we've only been here for eight weeks. Hard days remind me how grateful I am for our time the South and fill me with anticipation for brighter days here. Now if I can just remember that on the hard days.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Parker! You made your move to a new place during a season that is all family, comfort and home, which probably makes it even that much harder. The daffodils are only a month or six weeks away. Winter woes are always better with some daffodils :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I can't wait for spring.

      Delete
  2. Aww Parker!! It will get better. We miss you guys so much! I probably don't tell you enough how much we miss y'all, because I don't want to make it harder. Look at how long it took me to get used to Memphis...haha! Y'all will be settled into your new surroundings in no time! Has it really been only 8 weeks? I feel like it's been so much longer than that! Our days and weeks definitely feel longer without you and the girls coming over and hanging out! Give those sweet girls a hug for me!!

    ReplyDelete