May 13, 2011

Serendipitous

I am constantly on the lookout for decorating inspiration. Recently, I found a dream bedroom featured in Coastal Living. On April 28, I sent a scan of it to my mom {since she's a decorator extraordinaire} so she could help me figure out how to create an inspired room within our budget. Of particular interest to me, were the bedside tables:
You see, Peter and I don't have any. I act like we do keeping a number of things on the floor my the bed but I've always thought that actual tables would be nice. The table featured in the article is a $185 Island Retreat table that the designers painted white. They are a bit above our budget! 

On May 4, my mom saw a listing on the Baltimore Craigslist for "2 Cool Endtables" for $30. She emailed me the link to see if I would like them. The tables looked dreamy, and the price was oh-so affordable, so I said, "Yes, please!" We talked about how the heck I was going to get the tables from Maryland to Tennesee and resolved that it would work itself out. Somehow.

When she went to pick them up she struck up a conversation with the young lady selling the tables. We will call this lady Jess. I imagine their conversation went something like this:
--------
Mom: Well you're not from here, are you?
Jess: No, my grandmother just passed away and we're just up cleaning out her apartment. I live in Tennessee. 
Mom: No way! I'm actually getting these for my daughter who lives in Tennessee. Where do you live?
Jess: I live in Memphis...
Mom: So does my daughter. She lives in Midtown. 
Jess: Oh, well I actually live in Germantown.
Mom: It's so funny we were just talking about how she would get them to Memphis. Could I pay you to take them there?
Jess: Pay me? No, I'm Southern, we love to do these things {That is a direct quote!} I'd be happy to take them. I don't know if they will fit in my car but I can certainly get them into my mom's car.
Mom: Well, I'd like to pay you 'cause I have some lamps I'd like to get to her too.
Jess: Just bring them on over. I'm happy to take them back with me.
--------
At this point, my mom left to get the lamps, which were also found on the Baltimore Craigslist. They were a steal, at $5 each, as well as large, yellow, and wildly fun:
Mom gave Jess my number and vigilantly hoped that she was as honest as she seemed.

Well, yesterday I got a call from Jess. She had the tables and lamps and wanted to get them to me. This morning, the items that I got for $40 on the Baltimore Craigslist were delivered to me free of charge in Memphis, Tennessee.  I went ahead and gave Karen some Muddy's cupcakes as a "Thank You" and she was delighted.  But not as delighted as me. Check out this room!  I hope you can see all of the potential:

3 comments:

  1. Awesome finds! I love when things work out that way. Hope you are well, friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that's so crazy. You were definitely meant to have those tables! Love it! And those lamps are precious!

    ReplyDelete