June 2, 2010

Container Garden

This summer I opted to grow a small herb garden. Originally, I had a bit of basil, lavender, and rosemary in the same container. In no time at all the basil grew wildly and started to suffocate the rosemary. As a result, I had to get a couple more pots so I could separate the herbs. But there was trouble.

When Peter and I moved into our house there was a dead black walnut tree in the back corner of the yard. We cut it down and have not made even a lackadaisical attempt to remove the stump. For one month, the herbs sat on the stump. The only issue, and it was a big one, was the dogs. It became obviously that the herbs could not thrive in peace on the stump. So we got some rings to mount the plants on the fence. And now everyone is happy. {I like the plants on the fence so much I'm going to exand my container garden to include 4 more mounted pots later this week}.

5 comments:

  1. Very smart idea! Peter is on his way to becoming a handiman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He certainly is! Wait until you see our next project...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!!! I am going to steal it! :) Maybe I should use borrow instead of steal.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it!! Its the only way to go with dogs. You can get the container ring at Home Depot for $6-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the hidden lawn gnome, nice touch!

    ReplyDelete