November 9, 2011

Nursery: Furniture

While Peter was painting my mom and I were by no means laying around. We were busy working on furniture for the room. We already had a shelf to put in the nursery and a few weeks ago Peter and I found a dresser on Craigslist that will serve as a storage piece and changing table.

If you read any decorating blogs, surely you have heard of Annie Sloan's chalk paint. My mom has been using the paint for a while now (she's even trained to teach others how to use it). She is always raving about how easy the paint is to use. It goes straight on without any need for priming or sanding!

By painting our two pieces of furniture the same color I like to think we created a set. For the dresser, we needed to update the hardware so my mom and I headed to Anthropologie. We found new hardware that was very sweet and very pricey.  Rather than replace all of the hardware on the dresser, we decided to only replace the hardware on the middle three drawers and simply spray paint the hardware on the other six. A fresh coat of navy spray paint freshened the hardware for just $2.50. The Craigslist dresser was completely transformed by the paint and new hardware.
As for the yellow shelf, three coats of paint drastically improved the look. I've always loved our yellow shelf so I had a hard time imagining that it would look better but man, oh man, does it ever!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! That dresser looks amazing, and I love that Anthro vase I spy on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the dresser!! It looks amazing!

    Stephanie R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good eye, Hannah! That was a gift from my mom. I suppose if the baby is a boy I'll move it into another room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dresser and book shelves look so good!! You and your mom are so gifted. Also, I noticed the Aslan quote above the dresser.....LOVE it. Did you make that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth- my mom did. Stay tuned for a post about the art in the nursery.

    ReplyDelete