July 20, 2010

New Wheels

After the car drowned, we recognized that there were a few options:

Option 1: Buy a used car with the cash we get from insurance then cross our fingers for 2 years.
Dilemma 1: Too risky. We aren't getting that much cash.

Option 2: Buy a new-ish SUV because after I finish school we'd like one.
Dilemma 2: We don't need it or want it yet.

Option 3: Lease something reasonable.
Dilemma 3: We've never leased before.

After some research, we decided that leasing was the best option for our current situation (one paycheck, two grad students, etc.) After a week of perusing cars, we have a new vehicle. The 2010 Honda Fit. It's ugly- not that ugly, maybe goofy is a better word. Looking beyond the aesthetics, the car is fantastic. The gas mileage, safety features, and dependability are quite a bit ahead of the late Acura. Also, the storage beat out any comparable car for the price. Most lease deals last 3 years, as does the one we signed on Saturday. It looks like the Fit is mine until 2013, sort of. Although it is my new car, Peter will be the primary driver. Since I will be spending loads of time on I-40 in the next couple of years, we'll be putting the mileage on the Mazda 3. But Peter isn't complaining- he gets a new car.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I was a skeptic at first but now after seeing it in person, I want one!

    ReplyDelete