September 20, 2010

Adventuring: East Nashville and Downtown

Adventures this past weekend, led Leslie and me to East Nashville. We had a long to-do list ripe with potential that changed mid-day due to an unexpected closure. With our plans to enjoy Mas Tacos, Por Favor put on hold, we opted to find another restaurant on our Nashville Bucket List, Rosepepper.

Not only was Rosepepper recommended by my sister-in-law and her best friend, it was listed on Design*Sponge's guide to Nashville. Known for their oversized burritos, they did not disappoint. I got a veggie burrito, stuffed full with sautéed vegetables, black beans, and Sonora rice. It was topped with a tangy tomatillo sauce. I managed to eat half. {Word is their margaritas are also pretty amazing, but I cannot verify that- yet}

After a bit more wandering through East Nashville, we ended up at Pied Piper Creamery right in the heart of the Five Points District. The dry erase menu split the cleverly named flavors into Regulars {permanent flavors} and Irregulars {temporary flavors}. After sampling Are You There God? It's Me, Margarita, The Professor, and a maybe a few other flavors, I decided on Happy Trails to You, a honey-infused vanilla with trail mix pieces. The creamery also serves as a gallery of sorts. The right side of the house- yes, Pied Pier Creamery is in a house- is set up as a place for local artists to display their work.

Everything in Pied Piper Creamery was very clever, witty. I think special note needs to be paid to the Pride Sprinkles. As far as I'm concerned, they are for all of those people that could use a bit of fairy dust in their lives.

Heading back West, Leslie and I decided to make a quick stop Downtown. We popped into the Hatch Show Print Gallery. Stepping inside felt a bit like stepping into another time.

Turns out they've been doing what the do since 1879. Impressive, don't you think?

I love, love, love this print. It's so cheesy. And maybe kind of lame. Certainly, "low" humor. But it makes me laugh. I have lots of green both my bedroom in Nashville and house in Memphis so if I can think of a good place to hang the print, I'll be heading back to the Print Shop to pick it up.

Since we still had time on our meter we opted to stop in Tootsie's before heading home. It was packed! At 4:45. People were singing right along with the frontman.

Leslie and I hung around long enough to hear some decent covers of "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks, "If Heaven Ain't A Lot Like Dixie" by Hank William Jr., "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and "John Wayne and Jesus" by Pat Green. Being new to the South and relatively unfamiliar with country music, Leslie's has been embracing the new genre well.

We're making efforts to get to know our new city neighborhood by neighborhood. Thus far, I like Hillsboro Village but I prefer 12 South. The Gulch needs to grow before I can give a fair opinion. And East Nashville reminds me of Midtown Memphis. Once I crossed the river, I kind of felt like I was home. Thats lame, right? Honestly, some of the houses in East Nashville could be picked up and dropped into Cooper-Young and the neighbors would be none the wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment