December 14, 2011

Living Room: Rug

Earlier this year, it occurred to me that our concrete floors may not be particularly child-friendly. After hitting numerous stores in search of a rug, the living room floor was still naked.
To be fair, my list of wants was pretty specific:
          - neutral color(s)
          - measures 8x10
          - under $200
          - easy to clean
          - highly durable
          - relatively soft

While I originally imagined getting a sea grass rug for the living room, I knew it wouldn't last. Sea grass wouldn't be soft enough, easy to clean, nor would it hold up to the dogs wear and tear. So I expanded my search and I found many lovely rugs on Overstock.  Unfortunately most of them were over budget and bold or graphic rather than neutral.  As the search continued we visited Capel Rugs, Kiser's, the Pottery Barn/West Elm Outlet, Target, and countless websites with no success. Finally, a little birdie told me that Garden Ridge has a decent carpet selection at very reasonable prices.

Last weekend, we headed to Garden Ridge with nothing but our list of demands and left with an indoor/outdoor carpet that satisfied nearly every demand:

          - neutral color(s)
          ✓ - measures 8 x 10 7'10" x 9' 10"
          - under $200 (bonus: it was under $100)
          - easy to clean
          - highly durable
          - relatively soft


2 comments:

  1. The rug looks good but the built-ins are GORGEOUS! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for passing on the garden ridge tip! I made the GIANT mistake of buying a rug from Ikea that was cream. 1 dog and 2 boys later... I got a whopping 4 months out of it before it looked gross. It was too small for the space anyways.

    ReplyDelete