May 2, 2013

Mural Progress

When I first moved to Memphis, Peter lived downtown in the South Main Arts District. We moved apartments but stayed in the same neighborhood during my first year as a Memphian. Then we got a dog and decided we needed a yard.  So we moved to midtown, into a neighborhood we love. It's close enough to Peter's work that he can come home for lunch, which he does most days.

Anyway, in the next two months there are two murals going up on underpasses in our neighborhood that I'm really excited about. The murals are beautification projects that should prevent graffiti and vandalism. While both underpasses are prepped, the first mural is starting to take form. There is still work to be done and I'll be sure to snap a picture when the work is complete but for now, this is great. The other morning, for the first time in five years, I saw how lovely the light is in the space. Oh to have fresh eyes!

2 comments:

  1. It's looking so great already! You need to fill me in on all the best murals in Memphis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people know about the various "I Love Memphis" murals which are all great. Have you seen the new-ish mural in Overton Square on the side of Bari? It's so loud. I love it. I'm also a big fan of the Soulsville Gateway on Bellevue as you drive into South Memphis. The UrbanArt Commission has a gallery of public art in Memphis on their website. It's a great resource if you need a location for pictures or just want to see what art is around. http://www.urbanartcommission.org/gallery/

      Delete