June 11, 2013

For A Tuesday

I meant to get this post up yesterday but, I did not. Just a few thoughts from the weekend.


1- Our weekend was full with loads of grown up activities: cleaning the house, tidying the yard, detailing the car. Just lots of cleaning in general. We did manage to spend some time outside which was lovely. 

2- Cole developed a new routine this weekend. After waking, she now likes a bit of alone time with her books. We'll greet her then she'll ask for books and take 10-15 minutes to peruse her in-crib library.  It's very endearing. You've got to respect the introverted child who needs a bit of me time before taking on the world.

3- This weekend I received my first purchase from Very Jane and I learned about Brickyard Buffalo. I'm not a shopaholic but these websites are trouble! Are you familiar with the sites? If I just introduced you, you're welcome and I'm sorry.

4- Finally, I read this opinion piece on Loving the Midwest that was in the NYT on Saturday and found it wildly relatable. While many of the details are different, the range and sequence of emotions is quite parallel to our lives in Memphis. You could replace "St. Louis" with "Memphis" in the following excerpts, I'd be none the wiser: 
For one thing, it’s so easy [living in St. Louis]. If I complain that I had a hard time parking, what I mean is that there was no space waiting for me directly in front of my destination and I had to drive another 50 feet to find one. If I say a restaurant is hard to get into, I mean that when I called on Thursday, they had no reservation open for Saturday night at 7:30... My husband’s commute is 20 minutes in “bad” traffic and 10 minutes otherwise. 

WHAT I like best of all is that the size of St. Louis means we now run into people we know at the playground and the post office and the farmers’ market. In several instances, we’ve developed friendships after we bumped into the same people in more than one setting — the mother and son duo my daughter and I took a baby music class with, then saw again two years later when the children were in the same preschool, or the couple we met through my college classmate before we all happened to move onto the same street. 

7 comments:

  1. VeryJane and GroopDealz are horrible. I've been ordering quite a bit from both. Thankfully, they do offer great deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I've been introduced to GroopDealz. Thanks and shoot!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if you're nesting :)

    There is seriously nothing sweeter than watching your little one flip through books on their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. Though some of it's just pure practicality. For instance, we have to turn in our car because our lease is up. Prior to being turned in there is an inspection so we needed to clean it.

      As far as nesting, I can feel it coming. We're about to turn our playroom into a big girl room for Cole and somehow doing the one room has become a whole house project. Peter is delighted ;)

      Delete
  3. The books in the crib made me smile. Your daughter is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many books. So sweet. :)

    Also, that really is how it is in Memphis! I never thought I'd get used to a place this small, but recently when we were in Dallas and got stuck in an hour-long-stand-still-traffic-jam, I realized that I had gotten used to the idea of "bad traffic" being a 20 minute delay at rush hour on 240.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Jane is trouble for me :) but good deals! especially jewelry!

    ReplyDelete